Guy & Marisa

Guy & Marisa
Marisa & Guy
I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble. ~Rudyard Kipling

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Changing hearts and minds

Just finished reading the book written by the president and co-founder of Farm Sanctuary , Gene Baur, who has done an amazing service of revealing the horrible truths about the factory farming processes that have cruelly infiltrated our country's agricultural persona. This book was much less metaphysical and philosophical than "The World Peace Diet", but an encouraging story full of one person's hope that grew into a nationwide rescue and refuge network for farm animals.

The epilogue was beautifullly written, and this part deserves to be shared:

"More farm animals are being cruelly treated and killed today than ever before, and agribusiness is doing all it can to make sure you don't know about it. ....

Overcoming cruelty is something we can do one person, one choice, one act of conscience at a time. Eating meat is a habit we choose, not an unwritten law to be blindly obeyed. In the face of factory farming's harsh and violent spirit, everyone one of us has the power to say no and in doing so show the world that there is a kinder way.

When all the arguing is done, all the objections heard and excuses made, it comes down to this: if you're aware of something bad happening, are you going to try to make it better?"


August 4th, 2006
Marisa, Guy & Norman,
Our beloved BIG boy!

2 comments:

Philip said...

Sounds like a neat book! In looking at Norman, I'd say he got more of Guy's looks than Marisa's. :)

Lindsay said...

4 days and I've only had a few bits of chicken and one bit of Norman's people. I know sorry but true. I don't even usually eat it!
So lots of salad and veggies galore.
My body is adjusting. I'm not saying I'm switching over 100% but I am eating a lot less meat thanks to you two Norman lovers.