Small boy
I think of you, my handsome boy.
Yes, I missed you in the spring,
but I imagine you… soft and small
and fresh, the way you stayed.
In some ways.
You worked the hearts of all
who passed you by
that summer, you came to me.
Small boy, big ears, huge heart,
and all.
You bound me fully
in your charms.
So cavalier, my noble love.
A goodly soul, a godly one, a mighty man,
you became.
Leaves began to fall,
you stood so strong, so still,
you faced your foe.
You nearly foiled us all!
Your enemy so slight
in light, of YOU.
My beautiful boy,
with a fervor I loved you.
If such passion could be captured
I’d wake tomorrow morn’, and save the world!
I assume.
Autumn withered,
trees burned orange,
filtered yellow flowers
through an open door that came too soon.
Small boy. Once again.
I kissed your brow
once, a million times.
Teardrops dripped, poured really
across your face. With big brown eyes,
you trusted me still.
Carried you, as if once more,
you were that summer pup
tendered to me for safekeeping.
Peacefully you slipped away from this world.
From my world.
And now it is winter I face.
A bird among hundreds
on that cold morning wire
Searching for that sign. Are you still here?
My dear heart, you are.
Feel your breath as I hold her tight.
Rest behind me while I
fall in love. Ears
perked, tail swaying
when she smiles. Reviving the peace within,
my sheriff.
So I look to another spring,
and my heart stays filled.
It was you that made certain.
Small boy, big ears, huge heart,
And all.
~ mhb
1 comment:
seeing the presentation as well as reading the poem Mom and I are again moved to tears.
Ozzie was such a special dog and such a joy to be around. he is mssed by us all.
Mom Dad and Miss Heidi
Post a Comment